*sssshhhhhhhh!* stop slamming the door! uhhhhhh, ohhhhhhhh. My aching head and back and shoulders and arms and wrists.
Yes, I'm hung over. What's it to you? I overindulged this weekend. Overindulged in digging, weeding, planting, eating (a five-course luncheon yesterday! with wine! and crème brûlée! and there was an apple pie and fresh pears in the evening - and yes, for breakfast. What's it to ya?) (p.s. for the Eat Local Challenge folks, every morsel of it local food! Every morsel and every sip, including the wine. I would have gone to this thing even if it weren't, but it was extra-special that it was. It was an annual awards luncheon to honor somebody - or this year a group - who does good things environmentally for Lake Champlain.)
Oh, crap. Maybe you know something. Do you know something? Do you want to know something? Fine, if you'll stop yammering about it and close the door Q-U-I-E-T-L-Y when you leave. PLEASE! Be.quiet! Shhhhhhh, I'm HUNG.OVER. REMEMBER?
I hear ya, I hear ya. The photos don't really help much, because there is nothing for perspective. How about this for perspective: Row gauge called for in pattern, 40 rows/10 cm. Row gauge I got, 37 rows/10 cm. (and for more perspective, I'm a little on the short side)
Oh, wait, that pain in my head? Not from a hangover at all. I forgot. It's probably from the banging of it against the wall that I did last night when I realized that the completed sleeve had just been downgraded to "swatch."
As I see it, I've got a two choices: Leave it as is and roll up the sleeves, which I seem to do with all my purchased sweaters anyway. Or rip the entire thing out and reknit it, changing the increases and decreases to every 3rd row instead of every 4th. According to my sucky math (but confirmed by my husband who is a little better at math than I am), this will be just about right. I have to let this percolate a bit, but I think we all know the right answer. Because, of course, this will affect the fit of the body as well - not just the sleeves.
This is a little bit ironic, all of it, because when I first posted the photo of the pattern, Lauren asked the question, "The sleeves look a little on the short side -- are you going to keep them that way?" And I explained to her that yes, I favor bracelet-length or 3/4 sleeves, and if they aren't, I always end up pushing or rolling them up at work. And I also said, "The model in that photo is probably very tall, so the sleeves might actually be long for me." Of course I kept on checking the stitch gauge and I was spot on. I figured if the row gauge WAS off, it would be in the other direction, since I'm a relatively tight knitter.
After finishing the
sleeve swatch, I did the only thing I seem to be good for. I knit a Dulaan hat. This is truly a "scrap hat." I picked up some small random left-over balls of Lamb's Pride bulky that various people had donated to me and knitted as far as they would go, changed colors when I ran out, and literally used as much as I could for the pompom on the top. I REALLY ran out of yarn with this one. It'll fit a 2-4-year-old, I believe. I had originally attached (poorly, I might add) the pompom directly to the hat, but last night after Cassie laughed at it (she didn't really -- well, at least not in a MEAN way...) when she saw a preview photo of it, I detached the pompom and added a little braided cord so it flops around whimsically -- this time it's a purposeful flop and not just, you know, floppy.
The rest of today will be reserved for sulking.