It takes a woman with balls to tag me for anything, let alone a meme. (Note the date on that linked entry, and the blue-balled woman has no search capacity on her blog. I have a lonnnnng memory. And don't you all forget it.) Right now Terry is sweating buckets because I asked her to find that entry for me and she doesn't know why. I am taking great pleasure at the idea of her sitting by her computer, waiting to see what I have done with that link. *cackle*
According to Wikipedia, the ultimate source, of course: The term Internet meme is a neologism used to describe a catchphrase or concept that spreads in a faddish way from person to person via the Internet. The term is a reference to the concept of memes, but is used loosely to refer to things that are not necessarily memes in a technical sense.
The dictionary definition, sort of:
meme (Pronounced "meem") A trend, belief, fashion or phrase that is passed from generation to generation through imitation and behavioral replication. Coined by Richard Dawkins in his 1976 book "The Selfish Gene," memes and memetics are the cultural counterpart to the biological study of genes and genetics. Using the evolution analogy, Dawkins observed that human cultures evolve via "contagious" communications in a manner similar to the gene pool of populations over time.
It's a frickin' virus, is what it is.
Interesting find: It seems that everything with a pulse has a blog. Now I find that even Memes have a blog. For fucksake.
Y'all know my dislike for memes, right? But Terry? Terry doesn't care that I dislike them. She thinks she can take me, and she tags me anyway. Or maybe she hasn't been reading and memorizing my every entry from the beginning of time. Okay, fine, Terry, I'll play along this time. But the next time I see you, watch your back, girlfriend. I know you're pretty scrappy, but I'm bigger than you, and I also know you're injured. Mud wrestling, maybe? Or a rousing game of Scrabble. Your choice.
Anyhoo, though, of course I'm only kidding. Terry is doing me a favor (so she thinks), because in this NaBloPoMo thingy we're searching for blog fodder all the time, and she's a member of our "support group." With friends like.... oh, never mind.
So I'll answer it. These are the first things that pop into my mind, truly random and without much thought.
1. I'm not particularly fond of memes. I realize this is not big news. Ditto chain mail or inspirational jokes or stories in my email box. Once in a while there's a good one, though. It pisses me off that there is the occasional good one, because I really prefer to spread my meme/joke/inspirational story hate across the board.
2. Geniuses have a high tolerance for disorder, or so I've read. Looking at my home office and fiber room, you might think I'm a genius.
3. I've learned a lot lately. Not all of it is what I'd hoped to learn.
4. I don't have a favorite color, but please don't make me wear lilac. Or mint green.
5. I've done some foolish things, but I'm not a fool.
6. I've been loved and I've been hurt. Loved is better, but hurt can be a learning experience.
7. My favorite flower is a white peony. Or lavender. Or roses. Or... Ah, never mind. I don't have a favorite flower.
8. I can be indecisive. And sometimes not.
What? Only eight? I'm just getting warmed up, so I'll add a number nine:
9. I once was the only student in a class to pass a 10-page exam. The first instruction was to read the entire exam from start to finish before starting. I did. The last instruction was, "Put down your pencil and do not do this exam." It was a test of one's ability to read and follow directions. While everyone was frantically trying to do the obscenely long and hard exam in the class period, I was sitting there wondering if I had been tricked. I felt sick about it, but I stuck to my guns despite the churning in my stomach and the redness of my face. I was such a good instruction-follower then. I've changed. Today I'm a rebel. I did a meme despite my moratorium on them. I didn't follow the directions, and I added a number nine. Next thing you know, I'll be buying a Harley.
10. Look! Still feeling rebellious. I'm supposed to tag people, but I won't. However, if you want to do this meme, I won't stop you.
(Near the tram on Mount Mansfield)
"Sometimes you just gotta say, What The Fuck."
~ Miles, Risky Business ~